Teaching & Academic Leadership
What are the benefits for teachers and academic leaders?
There are a wide range of benefits to working in the Laidlaw Schools Trust that are specific to our teachers and academic leaders:
- You can be confident that you are working in schools where the key focus is teaching and learning development and that this is reflected in every aspect of our practice.
- You will receive training in our distinctive teaching and learning model that is founded on cutting edge educational theory, but always looking at how this can be applied directly to teacher practice and the learning process of students.
- The ultimate aim of our teaching and learning model is to support staff and students to think. As a teacher or academic leader in our schools, you will be supported to reflect deeply about the way learning processes are planned and delivered. Both inexperienced and experienced teachers will see rapid development in their practice. For individuals embarking on their teaching career, the LST is a fantastic place for you to be able to develop your craft as a teacher.
- All of our teaching staff and academic leaders benefit from high quality ongoing professional development. We use our ‘Careers Journey’ to ensure that all LST teaching staff and academic leaders will receive the development support that they need to fulfil their potential. Further detail about the ‘Careers Journey’ is provided below.
- There are opportunities for our teaching staff to gain experience working in different schools across the LST or to collaborate with colleagues from other schools. This potential to share best practice supports the ongoing process of reflection that is central to our approach to teacher development.
- We have assembled excellent teaching teams in our schools and we recognise that we need to maintain and further build upon these. We constantly think about how we can support the well-being of our staff, ensuring that we always focus on practice that will have the greatest possible impact on pupil progress.
What is the LST ‘Careers Journey’?
The ‘Careers Journey’ can be understood as a framework that helps our current or prospective teachers understand the quality and range of professional development opportunities that will be open to them as they work within the LST. Whilst the professional development journey of all of our staff is constantly ongoing, we have identified four key stages on the teaching ‘Careers Journey’ and developed programmes of support at each of these.
At each of the four stages of the ‘Careers Journey’, there are key elements to the training and support in place:
Structured Self-Reflection: We want our teachers and academic leaders to develop the capacity to think deeply and we have created our own framework that enables staff across the LST primary and secondary schools to do so effectively.
Cohort Training: High quality training sessions are delivered by outstanding staff to the entire cohort following the relevant programme within your school and at times, across the LST primary and secondary schools.
Coaching and Insight: You will have an opportunity to work with one or more exceptional staff who will take on the role of mentor and / or coach as appropriate. Not only will they support you at the current stage of your teaching journey, but they will also provide insights to prepare you for your next steps.
Widening Horizons: We will support you to expand your horizons beyond your current role in schools, giving you opportunities to gain a deeper understanding of the operation of the LST schools. You might have the chance to find out more about other curriculum areas or perhaps to gain experience in other schools or academic leadership roles.
Begin Your Journey
We want to attract individuals who have the desire to become outstanding teachers and will invest heavily in your professional development to enable you to achieve this aim. At an LST school, you will develop your practice rapidly.
What could I be doing?
Be responsible for planning and teaching your assigned classes.
Teach to ensure good or better progress for your cohorts.
Explore responsibility through practitioner enquiry, peer mentoring or primary subject co-ordination.
How do I know i am ready?
Having a commitment to the LST values.
Having a readiness to access training to support your rapid development.
Having the knowledge, skills and passion to be part of an academy team.
LST Development Year
Make a Difference
We will support you to increase your capacity to take on additional responsibility, laying the foundations that will help you to become an outstanding leader and have a greater impact on student progress in your school.
What could I be doing?
Deliver defined subject responsibility working alongside the Subject Leader or responsible for a specific subject area with support.
Deliver leadership of a subject area, making a significant contribution to curriculum development, arranging CPD, leading staff meetings.
Develop others as practitioners through leading CPD and active mentoring and making a significant contribution to trust-wide development.
How do I know I am ready?
Maintaining excellent progress as a practitioner.
Being able to demonstrate the potential to have a positive impact on the practice of others at a level appropriate to the role.
Making a significant and sustainable impact on standards within your area of responsibility.
Believing that strong teams can develop one another to deliver a lasting impact in the lives of the children they teach.
LST Impact Training
Apply Your Knowledge & Skills
As you take on significant leadership within your school or across the LST, we will enable you to meet these additional demands and prepare you for the next stage of your teaching journey.
What could I be doing?
Deliver whole-school leadership within a specific academy, collaborating with senior leaders to transform lives.
Drive forward areas of development across the trust in a subject or professional specialism.
Deliver leadership of a large subject area or measurable impact across key-stage/phase, making a significant contribution to whole-school and trust-wide areas of development.
How do I know I am ready?
Maintaining a sustainable impact on standards through outstanding practice.
Being able to transform the practice of others through clarity of vision and effective professional support.
Having the potential to thrive in senior leadership with the acumen to address systems and situations alongside.
Modelling a commitment to continue to learn and develop.
Key Subject Area Lead
Professional Development Lead
Trust-wide Network Lead
Trust-wide Subject Lead
Passion, Dedication & Experience
Even when you become a senior leader within one of the LST schools, we appreciate that learning and development does not stop. We will develop a programme of bespoke training that will enable you to have a transformational impact on the lives of our pupils.